Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thing #14: Technorati

Ah, so that's what it is. You know, back in the days of my youth--I'm talking about 40 years ago, here, folks--I would have been crazy about blogging, as would my best friends. Hard as it is for most of the students to whom I attempt to introduce to the joys of information literacy to believe, we used to write for fun. Pages and pages of the stuff--fiction, nonfiction, self-consciously clever letters, plays...we used to challenge each other to diagram long sentences for the hell of it, just to show we could. (I think the record was a 47-word sentence.) Being able to share that writing with the world at large, and have total strangers respond to it, would have been a heady experience.

Curmudgeonly old incident of flatulence that I am now, I care less about what the world at large thinks. I still write for fun but nowhere near as much--just don't have the time. Some of my best creative writing gets done at work...but I digress.

Did I get different results searching "Learning 2.0" in blogs vs, tags vs. directory? Well, duh. Like a lot of these sites that allow only keyword seaching, phrase searching is a problem. I tried using “Learning 2.0” (including the quotes). It took forever and I still got some dubious results. Then I discovered the "Advanced Search" which lets you look for "exact phrase" and specify only "in blogs about" X. I used "libraries" and got much better results. Either way it takes a lot longer than the basic search.

Looking at the "most popular" was depressing--Brack Obama #13 but Paris Hilton #3. Egad.

2 comments:

Melusina said...

Swooping over Albion I noticed in the neighborhood of Aquae Sulis an impressively constructed nest, built perhaps by a corvid cousin of Huginn or Muninn, and paused to see who lived there. Crows, brainy avians, pick up a lot of useful stuff from which a bird such as myself can learn (or borrow). I'll be circling back to give this nest a closer look.

Unknown said...

Do you see this face? It's the I smell a bad fart face. I think you need a MySpace next!